Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Crazy Quilt, Patchwork Silk

In another few days, my younger one will be leaving home to pursue the beginning of her dreams - she's heading for the bright lights of Kuala Lumpur where we have enrolled her for the South Australian Matriculation Program. Well, what better gift is there to go with her than a quilt made with warm loving tender care? It will definitely be a wonderful reminder of her home, a place where she knows she's loved - and a sanctuary she can ALWAYS return to whether she is 18 or 81 (LOL!!!)

Looks familiar? I actually made the quilt top some time ago but never got to do the backing - no excuses, I procrastinate on them all the time (LOL)! Usually I would start off on another quilt as soon as I finish piecing the blocks of the other - my weakness! Well, at least I got the backing for this one done :-)


Because of the weather here, I usually do not put in any batting. However, I did line this quilt with flannel since it is for use in an air-con room. I like the feel and weight of the finished piece and I think I will probably do the same for my other quilt tops.



For this crazy patchwork, I used the stack-and-slash technique on 7 different types of fabrics. I started out with 10" X 10" squares but these were later trimmed down to 8" X 8". The piecing-together was a breeze since no sashing was involved. The finished work measures 54" X 68" and is made up of 48 blocks (6 across and 8 down).



Well, I have certainly enjoyed making this quilt and now it's time for it to live up to its usefulness. So...
Crazy quilt patchwork silk
My Sleepy Princess
All tucked in, ready to rest
Keep her snug, keep her warm
Let God's sweet dreams form!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger ♥ debbie ♥ said...

ish ish ish.... cantiknyaaaaaaaaaa backing dia.....

March 19, 2009 at 12:22 AM  
Blogger All things beautiful said...

You like it? When I'm making yours, I will do the same then.

March 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger deannalee said...

o debbie belum ada ada....get one ready soon since she said she is looking for a flat.....moving into a new place as soon as she finishes her exams?

March 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger Yasmin said...

How lucky Sarah is! Beautiful quilt... don't know when I'll make one for Nadiah

April 3, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger All things beautiful said...

The thing is to get it started... & having a few kindred spirits nearby definitely helps to propel you to greater heights :-)

April 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home